Monday, April 29, 2013

Sketchcrawls...

Every few months or so, there's a Worldwide Sketchcrawl, and groups from all over the world venture out into their cities to sketch.  As a generally lone sketcher, I know I probably won't sketch in the same single-minded way I do on my own, but I so enjoy the camaraderie!

In January, we visited downtown Los Angeles--some favorite locations of mine, and some new surprises...like the annual temporary ice rink in Pershing Square!  And this is one of the great things about a Sketchcrawl...discovering (or rediscovering) something in your own home town...


 The ice rink surrounded by downtown buildings and palms...


and sketching over a Salvadoran lunch at an eating area next to the Grand Central Market...























I was so taken with the ice rink, that I had to come back the next day (last day "Downtown on Ice" for the season) to do a little more sketching...





For the 39th Worldwide Sketchcrawl, our usual leader and organizer, my fellow Urban Sketchers correspondent Shiho Nakaza planned a great day at the Downtown Burbank Arts Festival which featured the Creative Talent Network--since many of the group are in animation.  I admit to doing more chatting and perusing art and books than actual sketching...some quick sketches here...
...the stone horses that guard the entrance to P.F. Chang's China Bistro...
 ...a jazz band playing in front of a shopping center...



Cowboy John...a great character model posing for anyone who wanted to sketch...seated in front of the Bank of the West...

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketches! I particularly like the one with the red shade umbrellas. :)

    ReplyDelete