Saturday, September 17, 2016

Sketching in the Garden...

It's been great to teach two workshop series this year at Descanso Gardens.  The first, in February, "Sketching on Location" focused on the basics of drawing...seeing and drawing in line and shape, and the second in June (when the Gardens are most colorful!), "Sketching with Color".  I do a lot of sketching in advance to show students examples, and I love working my way through the basics...Descanso Gardens becomes a wonderful sort of outdoor "laboratory" to break down methods...and I always love learning from that process myself!

 I start with making lots of little thumbnails with fountain pen...composing and massing shapes
Always fun to add the visitors in the landscape...





Adding some color to ink thumbnails...





A little demo to show approaches to quick sketching with a limited palette (and limited time!)...




Some "notan" sketches in the Rose Garden with brush pen...



Experimenting with Inktense pencils--the gardeners at work making Descanso the beauty that it is...
Conversations in the cafe...


I love sketching at Descanso in any season...these are from the Rose Garden in February, when things are just beginning to bud...


And a shameless exercise in color in the Rose Garden at the height of summer color...


No comments:

Post a Comment