Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sketching the Light

It would be easy as a native of Southern California to take the light here for granted...but I've found it's the thing that I always notice first in a scene--no matter the season.  

Some of these sketches were made with watercolor and gouache on tan paper--when I have the luxury of time to develop the story a bit.  I love working this way because it means intentionally painting the light...

Sketching over coffee in La Canada...










Or in Los Angeles...




Late afternoon with fading light in Pasadena...


 In Silver Lake in Los Angeles... 












At the Autry Museum...



Waiting for my car being repaired...a perfect sketching opportunity on a corner in Pasadena...


 The bell tower in front of Pasadena Presbyterian Church...

A quick sketch in Glendale...and more coffee and afternoon light in Pasadena...


4 comments:

  1. Hi Virginia! I saw your name mention on another blog. They were talking about beautiful trees and painters and sketchers. Anyway, thrilled to find you and your beautiful blog!
    Cathe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, Cathe, I'm glad you've visited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Virginia!
    I tried to find an email contact for you but was unable so here goes:

    I am a writer for a travel blog called Oh, I See Moments where we post articles about moments of epiphany or "aha" while traveling, exploring other cultures, and making art. I recently was given the book An Illustrated Journey by Danny Gregory and I really enjoyed reading your description of the importance of traveling and drawing. I am a traveler and artist as well and I can definitely agree with it helping me see places and digest them. I am now traveling by bicycle in Mexico, drawing along the way.

    I am writing an article about traveling artists and I would like to include some photos of different artists' work. I would love to include some of your drawings. Would it be possible to send me a couple photos? I will of course give you credit and link to your blog and website.
    Thank you very much!
    Sincerely,
    Eva Boynton
    evaclaire3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eva, I just sent you an email--very glad you found me here, thank you!

    ReplyDelete