Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sketching at Descanso...



I recently taught a sketching workshop at Descanso Gardens.  In preparing for the workshop, I did a lot of sketching and thinking about things like how to start...what's important to me in a sketch...why sketch in a sketchbook?  It took me back to the basics of choosing a subject by focusing and framing...and making lots of quick thumbnail sketches.  Also...seeing in line versus seeing shape...and how seeing tone and value is key to working with color.  So much to try and convey in a few hours!


Many pages of thumbnails....here are a few--in the Rose Garden and the Japanese Garden...and near the entrance.  


Things were constantly swooping, flying or running across my path...reminding me how a sketchbook can serve to catch those unexpected surprises--moments of opportunity!





Seeing and drawing in line...seeing and drawing in value and tone...




 Studies in value and color...
What to include, what to leave out...

More past studies from Descanso Gardens...








No comments:

Post a Comment